Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Welcome {Archbishop J Peter Sartain}

Today our family traveled to Seattle for the celebration of...

"With faith in our Lord Jesus Christ
and with the love of God in my heart,
I do accept the pastoral care of the people of God 
in the Archdiocese of Seattle.
I resolve to serve faithfully
the spiritual needs of this local Church"
~ Archbishop J. Peter Sartain, December 1, 2010
 Archbishop Sartain, shown here being led to the cathedra, where he was seated for the first time.  Archbishop Brunett (our now-retired Archbishop) 
presented him with the crosierthe sign of the pastoral office of the bishop.
After our new Archbishop was seated, the Mass proceeded with the Liturgy of the Word,
and the First Reading was proclaimed by Sister Marian Sartain, OP, Archbishop Sartain's sister.


God of my fathers, LORD of mercy, you who have made all things by your word
And in your wisdom have established man to rule the creatures produced by you,
To govern the world in holiness and justice, and to render judgment in integrity of heart:
Give me Wisdom, the attendant at your throne, and reject me not from among your children;
For I am your servant, the son of your handmaid, a man weak and short-lived and lacking in comprehension of judgment and of laws. Indeed, though one be perfect among the sons of men, if Wisdom, who comes from you, be not with him, he shall be held in no esteem. Now with you is Wisdom, who knows your works and was present when you made the world; Who understands what is pleasing in your eyes and what is conformable with your commands. Send her forth from your holy heavens and from your glorious throne dispatch her That she may be with me and work with me, that I may know what is your pleasure. For she knows and understands all things, and will guide me discreetly in my affairs and safeguard me by her glory.


~Wisdom 9:1-6, 9-11

The cathedral choir then led the congregation in the sung Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 40).

The Second Reading was proclaimed by another family member of Archbishop Sartain:




I, then, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers, to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ, Rather, living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, with the proper functioning of each part, brings about the body's growth and builds itself up in love.
~Ephesians 4: 1-6, 11-13, 15-16

Deacon Juan Lezcano proclaimed the Gospel:


When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 
He then said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep." 
~John 21: 15-17

And then Archbishop Sartain gave the homily...

to be continued!



No comments: