Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Angel Talk

Guido Reni's archangel Michael (in the Capuchin church of Santa Maria della ConcezioneRome, 1636) tramples Satan.
Annunciation by Anton Raphael Mengs—Gabriel appears to the virgin Mary.
Archangel Raphael with Bishop Domonte by Bartolome Esteban Murillo (1618-1682) 

How well do you know your guardian angel?
I think I met mine in a dream when I was about 4 years old.  The angel appeared in a bodily form, in a beautiful blue-green flowing gown, and casting a blue-ish glow over my whole bedroom, hovering near the ceiling.  
My sister, Molly, slept, and I was terrified at the sight of the angel above me.  
I tried to scream, but was unable to make any sounds.
I have never forgotten that vision, and consider it a beautiful gift from God.
It used to trouble me that I was so afraid of the angel, for the beauty was unspeakable.  Today I realize that my reaction was similar to many in the Bible who fell down in awe of the angels who appeared to them.
I don't know why the angel appeared to me, but I do hope to find out someday.

Have you thanked your guardian angel lately?
I have!  
And I have thanked my children's guardian angels on many occasions.  I am certain that Peter's guardian angel protected him from serious physical harm recently when he fell 12'+ out of a tree when 
the limb under his feet snapped.
Looking up at the broken branch, I was in awe at the distance he fell.  Praise God he landed in such a way that although the wind was knocked out of him,  he was otherwise completely unharmed.   Peter's angel was there to shield him from injury, I'm sure of it.
I ask my kids' guardian angels to speak to them and guide them, especially in difficult moments.  They do.
I thank them continually for guiding and guarding our children.

Have you greeted an angel lately?
Try it!
When someone walks into the room, or when you are about to lose your 
patience with someone, greet their guardian angel.

Have you cherished the gift of God's angels in your life?
God's priceless gift of the angels is something we often just take for granted.
What if someone walked up to you and handed you the keys to a brand new car (or insert item of desire here).
Would you just set the keys down on the table and forget about the gift?  Crazy!
And yet God's gift of the angels is so much more than any material gift we could ever receive, and yet we don't really even pay attention or appreciate this gift most of the time. 

 You could begin today by asking for St. Michael's protection:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Or learn to pray the Hail Mary, which begins with the words St. Gabriel spoke to Mary, our Blessed Mother, at the Incarnation:
 "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee" (Luke 1:28).

Or pray one of these:

Prayer to the Archangel Gabriel
Oh, Blessed Archangel Gabriel, 
we beseech you, 
to intercede for us in our necessities
 at the throne of Divine Mercy, 
that you who made known to 
Mary the Mystery of the Incarnation, 
through your prayers and intercession in heaven, 
may obtain for us the benefits of heaven 
that we may sing the praise of God forever 
in the land of the living. Amen.


Prayer to Saint Raphael


Glorious Archangel St. Raphael, 
great prince of the heavenly court, 
you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace. 
You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, 
consoler of the afflicted, and refuge of sinners. 
I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in all the sufferings of this life, 
as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels. 
Because you are the "medicine of God," I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmities of my soul 
and the ills that afflict my body. 
I especially ask of you the favor (name your request) 
and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Ghost. Amen.


Jesus teaches:
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones; 
for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven" (Matt. 18:10). 

And so we ask the angels and saints for intercession, and thank God continually
for the gift of our special guardians and guides.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man...I am always sleeping

Crystal said...

4 must be a special age for divine sightings or messages. My 4 year old said he heard God talk to him. He said it sounded nice and a little like a girls voice. He said God said "I care about you."