Wednesday, March 24, 2010

 Recommended Reading
I found this title, Dave Eggers's What Is the What, on the St. James Cathedral website.  Intrigued, I immediately ordered a copy from half.com for about $3.50. 
It was the best $3.50 I've spent on a book in a long time.

 The novel, based on a real life story, took me on a journey into the life of a child refugee from Sudan.
From fleeing his village in a storm of violence at a very young age~alone; witnessing atrocious crimes; surviving against amazing odds; long stays in refugee camps; to life in big city America...
This was a hard one to put down.
I highly recommend it.

If you want to read more about the book (a sample chapter is available, as are many reviews), or about Valentino Achak Deng, the main character and his works of charity to aid Sudan, go to:


No comments: