Monday, March 7, 2011

A Witness, A Disciple, and A Missionary {Our Godson Niko}

Yesterday our Godson & oldest nephew, Niko, received the sacrament of confirmation.
Molly, Mike, Kati, Niko and Clark
Crucifix, tabernacle and altar at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, Tacoma
Tim, Niko and me after confirmation
Papa (Grandpa) Pete with Niko
Niko with an image of his patron Saint Nicholas
Zac and Niko

Bishop Eusebio Elizondo confirmed our Godson, Niko, and a huge group of teens and adults at 
St. Charles Borromeo last night.  
Powerful, personal, and profound; the anointing with sacred chrism and the laying on of hands at confirmation marked these Christians, sealing them with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, completing their Christian initiation.
What a blessing to have shared in another of Niko's sacraments.
Especially meaningful for me as his Godmother was hearing Niko renew the promises Tim and I made, together with his parents, at his baptism when he was so tiny.  Look at him now!  

Prayer for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit, divine Consoler, I adore You as my true God, with God the Father and God the Son. I adore You and unite myself to the adoration You receive from the angels and saints.
I give You my heart and I offer my ardent thanksgiving for all the grace which You never cease to bestow on me.
O Giver of all supernatural gifts, who filled the soul of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, with such immense favors, I beg You to visit me with Your grace and Your love and to grant me the gift of holy fear, so that it may act on me as a check to prevent me from falling back into my past sins, for which I beg pardon.
Grant me the gift of piety, so that I may serve You for the future with increased fervor, follow with more promptness Your holy inspirations, and observe your divine precepts with greater fidelity.
Grant me the gift of knowledge, so that I may know the things of God and, enlightened by Your holy teaching, may walk, without deviation, in the path of eternal salvation.
Grant me the gift of fortitude, so that I may overcome courageously all the assaults of the devil, and all the dangers of this world which threaten the salvation of my soul.
Grant me the gift of counsel, so that I may choose what is more conducive to my spiritual advancement and may discover the wiles and snares of the tempter.
Grant me the gift of understanding, so that I may apprehend the divine mysteries and by contemplation of heavenly things detach my thoughts and affections from the vain things of this miserable world.
Grant me the gift of wisdom, so that I may rightly direct all my actions, referring them to God as my last end; so that, having loved Him and served Him in this life, I may have the happiness of possessing Him eternally in the next. Amen.

This prayer was written by St. Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787), a bishop and doctor of the Church and founder of the Redemptorist order. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pix of Greater event ! Papa